Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Annoying Leaf Blowers Doing Away With Man Power One Leaf at a Time

So it's fall: a very aesthetically pleasing time of year. Let me describe an experience for you: you're walking along appreciating the fall colours. Leaves are falling...red, orange, brown, yellow...there's a soft breeze. You hear the gentle crunching of the leaves underfoot, the air is warm and...what's that other sound? A motor of sorts...oh, leaves are blowing around more than they should be considering the soft nature of this breeze. What the?!?!! What is that motorized, tube-like contraption pumping even more emissions into our precious atmosphere?! I've discovered that these things are called "leaf blowers". And, in case you didn't detect my tone, I find them supremely irritating. Here's a hilarious description of leaf blowers from an online site providing ratings and simple information for those interested in buying a leaf blower:

"Faith may move mountains, but to move a huge pile of leaves, you need a big rake and dollops of help (if you are lucky). However, if you are tired of using a rake and help is not forthcoming (it happens so often), you do not have to sit staring at piles of leaves! Just buy leaf blower!"

What the hell? What happened to good old fashioned elbow grease? So, if you can't find someone to help you rake the lawn, the alternative is to sit there staring at piles of leaves unless you buy a leaf blower? In my estimation, this is the epitome of laziness! Not to mention the fact that these things are commonly being used on commercial properties and, as noted in the online literature that I perused, gas powered versions are superior for larger areas. That means that more emissions are being pumped out into our atmosphere because we've become so lazy that we're beyond using a rake. Don't even get me started on noise pollution. I'm not one to go on and on about things being too loud - I'm a heavy sleeper and in previous years when I had roommates, I never would've dreamed of shutting down a party on the other side of the wall from me - but superfluous motors that are being used to replace man power that is really not that much man power to be spoken of to begin with?! COME ON PEOPLE. Pick up the damn rake and exert some energy! Sweat - it's good for you!

I was most recently irritated by one of these confounded things while at the bank: they were leaf blowing the parking lot. Let me say that again: they were leaf blowing the PARKING LOT. Because apparently leaves on pavement is problematic? In retrospect, I reflect on the number of times I've noticed home owners leaf blowing the sidewalk out front of their houses. Ummm...someone please tell me why it's necessary to remove leaves from the sidewalk and in doing so, spew emissions into the air while making lots of noise.

Seriously. I think I've made my point. This is one of the great reasons that I love blogs: I have license to rant about leaf blowers and get away with it.

Roberta Shepherd for Prana Holistic
blog comments powered by Disqus