Thursday, July 15, 2010

Evening Primrose Oil Could Be The Answer To Your Painful Menstruation!

I have been using evening primrose oil (EPO) for premenstrual symptoms for years. When I was pregnant, I stopped using it as I - of course - wasn't getting my period during that time. However, nearing the end of my term and once I was overdue and gagging to get my baby out, I started inserting EPO vaginally to get things going. This was at the recommendation of my midwives and something that I hadn't thought of, but that actually  makes perfect sense. EPO, along with many other healthy oils and fats, contain prostaglandins: a component of lipid molecules that mimic the action of hormones and help to regulate the contraction and relaxation of smooth muscles in the body. And let me tell you: IT WORKS!! I started using EPO for the purpose of inducing labour a few days before I actually went into labour. I have to say, I woke up every single night wondering if using it again the next night would be worth it, considering the fact that it certainly caused contractions that were anything but comfortable.

Previous to being pregnant, I had a history of experiencing every single pre-menstrual symptom in the book: breast tenderness, cravings, emotional highs and lows, irritability, sore back, and then during my flow: cramps, bloating, gas, diarrhea, exhaustion, muscle aches and pains...I'm sure there are others! At some point, I stumbled upon the idea of taking EPO to relieve pre-menstrual and menstrual symptoms, was - and continue to be - astonished by the efficacy with which EPO eliminates all pre-menstrual and menstrual discomfort. I mean, ALL of my symptoms were, and continue to be relieved! The ticket is that you have to take EPO every single day throughout the month as opposed to just acutely during your period. The recommended dosage for EPO is as follows: 2 500mg capsules per day. I take EPO as follows: 1 capsule in the morning and 1 capsule at night before bed.

Other conditions and symptoms that can be improved and addressed by taking EPO are as follows: any inflammatory condition, skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, acne and skin rashes, allergies, asthma, chronic fatigue, cancer, rheumatism, hormonal imbalances, menopause, colitis, heart disease, hypertension, atherosclerosis and diabetes. It is, of course, recommended that EPO be avoided during pregnancy.

An interesting fact about the pretty, yellow flower, as pictured here, from which EPO is derived: it only blooms at night, hence the name "evening" primrose. Considering that the cycles of the moon relate most strongly to women and menstruation in both folklore and astrology, it is very fitting and a blatant representation of evening primrose's plant signature that it's oil addresses female issues. If you or someone you know suffers from pre-menstrual and/or menstrual symptoms, I strongly recommend that you try EPO. Surely, you won't regret it.

Roberta Shepherd for Prana Holistic
blog comments powered by Disqus